A vast majority of people assume that receiving a client focused care at home service is beyond their financial means; however, as more information about financing care becomes available in the public domain, care at home has fast become a popular option.

Funding for care is sometimes a very confusing subject area, however, by carrying out your own research and using resources that are readily available to you, you will quickly realise your entitlements and options and things will become clearer leading you to make informed decisions.

Public Funding

Some people may be eligible to receive help with funding their care from the Government. You have the right to request a free care assessment from your local Social Services department, which can include a community care assessment and a means-tested financial assessment to determine if you are eligible to receive support with the cost of the care you need.

Direct Payments

If after your assessment it is decided you require care services, you could be offered direct payments. As part of this arrangement your local council will make monetary payments directly to you so that you are able to organise and pay for the care service/services of your choice. These payments are intended to help and support you to remain living comfortably at home, encouraging independence and social inclusion in areas such as employment, education and leisure activities.

The Government is intending to increase the number of people who receive direct payments; this will help more people get access to the benefits that they bring. When you become eligible for support with funding, your local council are duty bound to consider direct payments as an option for you, instead of providing services to meet your needs.

Independent Living Fund (ILF)

Funded by Central Government, the Independent Living Fund aims to support people with disabilities to live independently in their own homes. The Independent Living Fund (ILF) provides money to help disabled people live an independent life in the community, rather than in residential care. You can use payments from the ILF to:

  • Employ a carer or personal assistant who is responsible for your personal and domestic care.
  • Pay a care agency to provide personal care and help with domestic duties.

Payments made to people with disabilities are to be used by those individuals so they can afford the employment costs, and or associated employment costs, of a personal assistant or care agency to provide the support that they need to remain living at home. There are obviously a lot of things which the fund cannot be used to pay for. To understand what cannot be paid for with the fund; you can read more on the Government website.

Private Funding

Should you not be eligible for public funding, or would simply prefer to fund your care privately, you will need to source your care independently. Faced with so many different options and conflicting information, this can become both a time-consuming and overwhelming task.

If you are looking for support with financial planning, we would recommend that you contact an impartial Financial Advisor specialising in Care Fees. They can discuss options such as:

  • Equity Release
  • Funding Care fees
  • Estate preservation
  • Wealth Preservation

Referral Form

The information you provide us in this form is private and confidential and will only be accessed by a member of SAM2SAM staff; your information will not be passed on to any other bodies unless it is legally necessary or required by other bodies in order to provide our service.

What happens next?

After completing the form you will receive an automated email receipt, if you do not receive this receipt then please check the junk/spam box of your email client.

You will later be contacted by a member of SAM2SAM staff to further discuss your application.

If you have any further questions that you would like to ask before filling in this form, then please do not hesitate to contact us:

Support Organisations